Sunday 20 January 2013

A visit to the Embroiderers' and Lacemaker's Guild

Today this guild hosted a stitchy day.   This is always a pleasant way to start the new year and it's great to catch up with other stitchers and see what they are doing.  This  guild hold their meetings in the Car Club rooms -  hence the background.   Our speaker was a master calligrapher who can not only claim some fame and expertise in his field (he authored the definitive textbook on calligraphy for Denmark) but also that his parents were responsible for this children's book.

Peter Gilderdale took us through a potted history of calligraphy (why oh why were my history teachers not this interesting?) and demonstrated just how easy the art is after years and years of practice.
Several of the stitchers present had brought their work to share - I was especially taken with the closure on the Celtic looking book.

There were two or three of these pretty little display cases -  an interesting way to showcase delicate and intricate stitching.
I have been stitching an Assisi Rose to send to my Aunt who has just had surgery.   Methinks this will last longer than the florists bunch although the fragrance may not be so sweet.
Tonight I will finish the back stitching and hopefully decide on what finish it shall be -  a keyholder?
Also finished the first of these twelve ornaments.  I plan on making identical finishes although they are all different sizes and shapes.  
Tonight we have the Downtown Abbey Christmas 2012 special on The Box so I am off to get dinner ready and will settle down to watch that.   Hope you have all had a good weekend.




9 comments:

Nicola said...

Oh Margaret that episode is one to watch.

Pamela said...

I miss belonging to the guild and yours always sound so interesting! I like the ornaments.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Your guild day looked very interesting Margaret. As always, lovely finishing from yourself - even the simplest finishing scares me.

cucki said...

super cute finish..
lots of love for you x

Bonnie said...

Your 12 days of Christmas ornaments are so nice finished that way. Can't wait to see the rest of them.
Hope you enjoyed Downton Abbey!

Annie said...

Lovely finishes of the ornaments and the Asissi Rose!
Very interesting guild meeting, wish we had it here too.
The little box with the various finishes is such great idea! I have to find myself a box like that too, for some of my miniature stitching.
Enjoy Downton:)
Have a lovely week and take care,
Anette & Skruttan

Cassandra said...

What a cute idea on the ornaments! It'll be fun to see what they all look like. :)

Karen said...

I would love to hear about the history of caligrophy. It really is a very interesting art.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Love those ornies, who is the designer? I particularly like that they are different sizes, adds some individuality.
Your Guild sounds great, I'd love to be able to meet up with other stitchers regularly.