Friday 19 April 2013

A lack of Needlework stores!

Last night we arrived home from our brief road trip to see Little Brother and his mini farm.
Little Brother has five new calves and of course we had to be introduced.   Spot, Patch, Elle Macpherson, Millie and Bertha were indistinguishable to me but respond to Little Brother and to anyone who appears and may be likely to have a bucket of milk or some sticky molasses. 

The weather man had forecast rain for the week we were away but none of the clouds we saw produced any.  Since we have come home it has rained!
I had planned on visiting needlework stores as well but found only one and amazingly that contained nothing to tempt me.   Obviously I am too well supplied at home!
Palmerston North has an Art Trail and is a totally flat city so I walked for miles to find the various sculptures and art works described in the brochure.   Variety was evident and I enjoyed all the different pieces -  here's a selection
 

 



The most interesting one was outside the library.    A small plaque said that the creator had been inspired by a book he had as a child which described the length of a whale as being equal to the height of ten elephants.   Without the explanation I may have wondered 'Why?' but it was certainly intriguing.
In between explorations I stitched and now have plenty to construct over the weekend at which time I can consider my holiday to have been both enjoyable and productive.  More photos tomorrow.

6 comments:

cucki said...

Aww sweet..such fun
Have a lovely day x

Pamela said...

I've missed hearing from you and am happy to see photos from your trip. I look forward to more photos tomorrow! I can hardly wait to see what you've stitched.

Fiona said...

I love reading about your travels. Looking forward to seeing your holiday stitching.

Ann at Beadlework. said...

Good to see you back Margaret. I know what you mean about needlework stores. Recently more and more are closing and those remaining often fail to tempt me too. I think it's the internet to blame really - although we benefit so much from everything being readily available, we also pay the price when it comes to local shops.

Karen said...

Very interesting sculptures. I wonder what childhood story told of 10 elephants being the length of a whale.

It sounds like you had a nice trip with your Mum and I look forward to seeing what you've stitched up while away. :)

Didi-beadwork said...

Which way did you travel to bulls as there is a reasonable shop in hawera called framing gallery and one in Stratford called in stitches.